Call for application: CARTA 2019 Postdoctoral Fellowship
The Consortium for Advanced Research Training in Africa (CARTA) is a south-south partnership with a south-north collaboration jointly led by the African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) and the University of the Witwatersrand (Wits). The Consortium was established in 2008 with a mandate to build a vibrant African academy able to lead world-class multi-disciplinary research that impacts on population health in Africa.
To secure the future and foster the career growth of its high-achieving graduates, CARTA is offering 2019 Postdoctoral Fellowships. The fellowships are awarded on a competitive basis in line with specific evaluation parameters. The purpose of the fellowship is for the Post-Doc fellow to gain specific skills, expand their networks and work in a research-active environment where they will engage with role models, receive strong mentorship and learn the demands of the community and public engagement.
The fellowships will be awarded for a maximum of 12 months, in line with the “CARTA POST DOCTORATE AWARD GUIDELINES”. Two modes of post-doctoral fellowships will be considered as follows:
- Full-time fellowships for 12 months, whereby the fellow will be resident at the host institution for the entire fellowship period;
- Split fellowships, whereby the fellow will be expected to make at most three visits of not less than three months to only one host institution over the 12-month period.
CARTA is hereby inviting applications from eligible CARTA graduates.
Applicants must be PhD graduates of the CARTA program. They must demonstrate strong commitment to research capacity building at their institution as well as potential for research leadership.
What the grant will cover
The postdoctoral fellowship award will be up to a maximum of US$ 48,000 and will include travel costs, a monthly stipend of US$3,000 and funds for formation of new research collaborations and partnerships, development of pilot projects, training opportunities on specific research skills and attendance of an international conference. Due to the short-term nature of the postdoctoral research fellowship program, the fellowships will not cover accompanying dependents.
How to apply
Applicants must contact the CARTA Secretariat to get the application form.
Applicants must submit the following documents to the CARTA Secretariat (firstname.lastname@example.org), and copy the same to their focal person(s):
1. A completed application form.
2. Updated CV, showing publications and awards.
3. A statement from the current employer indicating willingness to release and readmit the applicant at the end of the postdoctoral training period
4. Letters of support, from:
a) a senior academician, from your home institution, who understands your research and potential;
b) your Head of Department or Dean;
c) the prospective host institution indicating:
i. its willingness to host the applicant; and
ii. the name of the proposed mentor.
d) your proposed mentor (including his/her CV) from the host institution(s).
5. E-copies of your most significant publications over the last three years
1. The deadline for submissions is February 22, 2019.
2. The CARTA Secretariat will carry out the preliminary review of applications for completeness of applications and submit them for external review by February 28, 2019.
3. External reviewers will review shortlisted applications between March 1-8, 2019 and make recommendations for funding.
4. The applications recommended for funding shall be tabled and approved for funding by the Board of Management in March 2019.
5. The CARTA Secretariat will communicate the funding decision to the applicants in April 2019.
Contact the CARTA secretariat email@example.com to get more details on the expected deliverables, outcomes of the fellowship as well as the evaluation and the application form.