Call for Applications 2016 CARTA Calls for Re-entry Grants
Building on its goal to secure the future and foster the career growth of its high-achieving graduates, the Consortium for Advanced Research Training in Africa (CARTA) will offer up to 5 re-entry grants in 2016 to its fellows who have completed their PhD studies1. CARTA re-entry grants aim to support fellows returning to or remaining at their own institutions to start a research project. Re-entry grants will be awarded on a competitive basis taking into consideration the scientific quality ofthe proposed research, its potential to lead to larger research programme, appropriate exchanges to network and learn specific skills or techniques, and involvement of a multidisciplinary team.
Applicants for this program must be CARTA graduates teaching or and conducting research at one of
the African CARTA partner-institutions.
Applications will be assessed on the following criteria:
- The scientific merit and quality of the proposed research
- Potential of proposed research to lead to larger research programme
- Appropriate exchanges to network and learn specific skills or techniques, and involvement of
- The suitability of the host environment
- Clear research plan and timelines
Preference will be given to collaborative projects among CARTA fellows. Selected projects will be
expected to receive ethical approval from a reputable ethics board before research can commence.
What the grants cover?
Each re-entry grant will be up to $ 25,000. Allowable expenses include research costs such as field personnel, materials and consumables, local fieldwork travel, and data collection. Modest requests for equipment, where fully justified in the context of the proposed research, will be considered, but we expect that the research will be conducted in a unit with majority of the required equipment and facilities available for use by the applicant(s). Applicants may also budget for conference participation, public engagement costs, re-training and meeting costs for collaborative projects.
How to apply
Applicants must submit the following documents:
- A completed application form
- Two letters of recommendation one of which must be from a senior researcher in the field attesting to the feasibility of the study and appropriateness of methods.
- A statement by the host institution indicating support for the application
Address all enquires related to this call to: CARTA Program Manager
P.O Box: 10787-00100
Office Tel: +254 20 400 1000
D/Line: +254 20 400 1052
Fax: +254 20 400 1101