Opportunity: Bioethics Workshop in Mali
The West African Centre for Cell Biology of Infectious Pathogens (WACCBIP) at the University of Ghana will hold the 2nd in the series of the Bioethics workshops on responsible research conduct designed for postdoctoral fellows and institutional Institutional Review Board (IRB) coordinators. This year’s workshop will be held at the MRTC, University of Sciences, Techniques and Technologies, Bamako, Mali from 27 November to 01 December , 2017.
The workshop is open to DELTAS fellows and IRB coordinators from institutions hosting DELTAS programmes.
For more information, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The workshop will be facilitated by Prof. Mahamadou Diakite, Professor of Immunogenetics at the University of Sciences, Techniques and Technologies of Bamako, Mali, Dr. Paulina Tindana, a Bioethicist from the Navrongo Health Research Centre (NHRC), and Dr. Angeliki Kerasidou, a researcher in Global Health Ethics and the Ethics Coordinator for the Malaria Genomics Epidemiology Network (MalariaGEN) at the Ethox Centre, Oxford University. Topics to be discussed include:
- Introduction to Pathogens
- Introduction to Research Ethics
- Ethical Issues in Genomic Research
- Informed consent in genomic studies
- Community Engagement
- Research Ethics review: principles and practice
- Export and Shipping Requirements
- Data sharing: Guidelines and governance models
- Sample sharing: Policies and practices
- Feedback of findings and managing incidental findings
- Privacy and Confidentiality
- Publication ethics (Research Integrity and Conflict of Interest)
Written by Eunice Kilonzo, CARTA Communications Officer.