Postdoctoral Research Fellowship at the University of Cape Town
Deadline: March 16, 2018
The Economics of Tobacco Control (ETC) Project is based in the Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit in the School of Economics at the University of Cape Town. The Project does research on a variety of aspects related to the economics of tobacco control, including the following: estimation of price elasticities of tobacco products, the role of the excise tax structure and level on consumption, the response by the tobacco industry to tax and legislative changes, the size of the illicit market and ways to curb illicit tobacco. The Project comprises about ten researchers and a number of support staff. The website of the ETC project can be found at www.tobaccoecon.uct.ac.za.
Attached to the ETC Project, is the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) Secretariat’s Knowledge Hub on Tobacco Taxation and Elimination of Illicit Trade in Tobacco Products. The Knowledge Hub provides support to Parties to the WHO FCTC in the area of tobacco taxation and illicit trade through workshops, in-country technical assistance and through a website portal. See http://untobaccocontrol.org/kh/taxation.
The ETC Project and Knowledge Hub would like to appoint two postdoctoral fellows, starting from 1 July 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter. This call is open to all PhD graduates who have achieved the doctoral degree in Economics no more than 5 years ago. The successful applicant will need to have demonstrated strong technical ability in econometrics, statistics and quantitative work. Both positions would entail international travel.
Conditions of Award:
The successful candidate will be required to:
- indicate, via the required letter of application, his/her understanding of the intent and purpose of the funding programme, interest in health economics, as well as his/her desire to become an academic leader in Africa;
- register as Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the School of Economics at UCT;
- enter into a Memorandum of Understanding with her/his Principal Investigator and adhere to the plans and agreements therein;
- comply with the University’s approved policies, procedures and practices for the postdoctoral sector, and
- be active in the activities of the ETC Project and the Knowledge Hub.
Value and Tenure:
The Fellowship is valued at R360 000 per year and is tenable for between 1 and 3 years. Renewal of the Fellowship is dependent on satisfactory performance and the availability of funding.
- have demonstrated an interest in academic research;
- be able to demonstrate strong technical, econometric and statistical knowledge and skill\
- have demonstrated evidence of research output such as working papers, with published journal articles an added advantage.
Applicants are required to submit IN A SINGLE PDF DOCUMENT:
- a letter of application;
- a CV including details of any conference presentations, working papers and/or publications;
- academic transcripts;
- the names and contact details of 2 academic references who have taught/supervised the applicant; and
- a letter of support by a prospective mentor in the School of Economics at UCT.
Potential applicants are encouraged to contact current postdoctoral fellows and other staff members of the Project for more information about the positions and the Project (see the ETCP website for details).
Applications should be directed to Sharon de Bruyns,Sharon.email@example.com by no later than mid-day (SA time) March 16, 2018.
Short-listing and selection will be completed the Principal Investigator of the ETC project and a sub-committee of senior members of the ETC Project and Knowledge Hub.
Short-listed applicants will be required to make themselves available for interview.