Postdoctoral Research Fellowship at University of the Witwatersrand
Three postdoctoral research fellowships are available, tenable for two years.
Deadline: June 22, 2018
The MRC/Wits-Agincourt Research Unit is a leading health and population research center that supports a major research infrastructure including a health and socio-demographic surveillance system (HDSS) covering the Agincourt sub-district of rural Mpumalanga Province adjacent to Mozambique. Taking a life course approach, the Unit undertakes interdisciplinary observational and intervention research collaborating with scientists from South African and sub-Saharan, UK/European and North American institutions.
Successful Postdoctoral Fellows will join a multidisciplinary team of research and data scientists and enjoy unparalleled opportunity across all stages of the research process, including ethics and public engagement, field science, research data management, and research-to-policy engagement. Fellows will be supported and mentored to publish in peer-review journals.
Fellows will follow a tailored programme embedded in focus research areas depending on their background, experience, and interest:
- Adolescent health and development (including HIV and mental health)
- Adult health and ageing (including non-communicable diseases, HIV and mental health)
- Population trends, transitions and social determinants (including migration)
- Applied Statistics, Informatics and Computing.
Positions will be based in Bushbuckridge, Mpumalanga Province, where Wits offers several accommodation options, with time in the School of Public Health and related campuses in Johannesburg, and possibly occasional travel abroad.
- PhD awarded within past 5 years (or pending)
- Background in a relevant discipline(s), including Epidemiology, Statistics, Decision Sciences, Public Health, Economics, Demography, Population Studies, related Social Sciences, Clinical Sciences, Informatics and Computing
- Evidence of high academic and scholarly potential
- English language proficiency, strong conceptual and writing skills.
Applications must include:
- cover letter outlining your interest in and suitability for the fellowship
- detailed CV
- names and contact details of 3 referees (at least two academic)
- examples of written or published work
- certified copies of degree certificates and academic transcripts
- certified copy of ID or passport.
Direct enquiries about the position to Professor Kathleen Kahn (Kathleen.Kahn@wits.ac.za)
The University is committed to employment equity. Preference will be given to appointable applicants from the designated South African groups in terms of the relevant employment equity plans and policies of the University. The University retains the right not to make an appointment, to re-advertise and to verify all information provided by candidates. Please note that correspondence will only be entered into with shortlisted candidates.